Sunday, August 16, 2026

The Stages of a Watch Collector - My Own Experience

Having read Johannes Beer's "How One Watch Becomes Twenty: The Five Stages of Every Collector" I can only conclude that the author has either secretly been monitoring my browser history or has attended every watch meetup I've ever joined. The article's central premise, that nearly every collector follows the same predictable path from "I just want one good watch" to a constantly evolving collection, is uncomfortably accurate.  


What struck me most was how well the article captures the rationalizations that define this hobby. My own journey began exactly as described: a single mechanical watch intended to be a lifetime companion. Then came the research. Suddenly I was comparing movements, debating case thickness, learning obscure reference numbers, and spending far too much time reading watch blogs and watching YouTube reviews of watches I had no intention of buying. At least, that's what I told myself.  



The article's second phase, where newcomers become experts after only a few weeks, may actually be the most truthful section. Every collector remembers that stage. One day you're asking what an automatic watch is; the next you're explaining lug-to-lug measurements and movement finishing as if you've spent decades in watchmaking. The confidence usually exceeds the expertise, but that's part of the fun.

Where the article particularly succeeds is in recognizing that watch collecting is rarely about telling time. It becomes a mixture of appreciation for craftsmanship, personal identity, history, engineering, and the thrill of the hunt. The watches themselves matter, but the stories, research, and anticipation often matter just as much. 

As someone currently living somewhere between "carefully curated collection" and "one more watch will finally complete the collection," I would add one unofficial sixth stage: acceptance. Not acceptance that the collection is complete, because that day never arrives. Rather, acceptance that collecting is the hobby itself. The wishlist, the discussions, the late-night browsing, and even the buying mistakes (there will be many) are all part of the experience. Eventually you realize that the journey is more satisfying than reaching any particular destination.

If I have one criticism, it's that the article makes the progression seem almost universal. While many collectors follow this path, some eventually move toward fewer, more meaningful pieces, while others become historians, restorers, or specialists focused on a single brand or era. The collecting bug manifests differently from person to person.

Still, as a self-diagnosed victim of this condition, I found the article both entertaining and alarmingly familiar. It reads less like an analysis of watch collectors and more like a medical description of symptoms. The uncomfortable part is realizing how many of them apply to me.


Reference:
https://www.watchtime.com/brands/automatic-watches/five-stages-of-every-watch-collector?

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONTRIBUTE FOR THE UPKEEP OF THIS BLOG

Any contributions is appreciated!